First Week of 505

Wow!

One out of eight weeks are done and it has already gone by so fast! On the last day of the week,  which was a Thursday, we talked about our analysis's of the previous 505 projects. We then went into our groups we were sorted into the previous day and talked about our three topics. My three topics mainly pertained to the community or informational design. My first one was a visual campaign against the stigma of mental illness through the use of visuals to educate the public. At SFSU since they are trying to find funds for their program on campus. We only have two psychologists on campus and are in desperate need of more resources for mental health. Young adults are the most at risk for mental illness under high stress which attending university can cause. My second idea was a visual campaign for information and outreach for SFSU’s Animation Minor Program. Not many people know about the minor or even the animation society that is constantly run on campus. Many wonderful opportunities, informative talks, and creative environment are open and available to everyone on campus. My third idea was to provide a clear welcome, a green and visually lively campus, and multiple opportunities for community engagement. I found out Elizabeth's interest's which included Youth Now, the project I was interested in and water purification. Alex was very keen to go forward with his 3D printing prosthetics idea which I am very excited to see it completed.


On to today, June 21, 2018,  my partner for the activity today was Alex Little, a product designer. He is a skateboarder and a 3D printer enthusiast. He even wants to do his 505 project on 3D prosthetics but I found he was an avid skateboarder as well who loved to design useful items for his day to day life. After our hour and a half long activity, I have found that he loves to design, loves to skateboard and likes to be personal in his designs. I've noticed in the three classes he's been in with me (but haven't known) that he and other skaters awkwardly put their skateboards under their desks or in unsafe places. My final design was a skateboard rack that was removable and can be placed anywhere. On the back of your car, on the wall of a classroom like a coat rack or in your room. Since I'm not a skater I didn't know that most people didn't really care where they place where they place their boards. Otherwise, he thought it was a good idea, at least for classrooms where they're more strict on where skaters leave their boards. He, in turn, designed a wallet for me that is lightweight and small so it can fit into my non-existent pockets since I don't like carrying bags. It was a nice design icebreaker and enjoyed doing it for the second time this week.


                             


For homework, we analyzed three past 505 projects in little presentations.


                                    

For my proposal I would like to do a campaign against the stigma of mental illness through the use of visuals to educate the public. At SFSU since they are trying to find funds for their program on campus. We only have two psychologists on campus and are in desperate need of more resources for mental health. Young adults are the most at risk for mental illness under high stress which attending university can cause.


Problem statement

Even though half of the population is afflicted with depression at one point in their lives, many don’t know the causes, treatment or symptoms of this or other mental disorders.

Purpose of study


To educate young adults about mental illness since that is the age most mental illnesses appear due to chemical changes in the body.



Comments

Popular Posts